Actian Corporation Respects Your Privacy
Actian complies with the U.S. – E.U. Safe Harbor framework and the U.S. – Swiss Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Actian has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Actian certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/.
- Sites covered by this Privacy Statement
- Types of information we collect
- Response to Do Not Track signals
- Children’s privacy
- How we use your information
- Who we share your information with
- Your choices
- Access to and accuracy of your information
- 1Keeping your information secure
- Changes to this Statement
- Contacting us
1. Sites covered by this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement applies to Actian-owned websites and domains, and our wholly owned subsidiaries (“Actian Corporation websites.”) including www.actian.com, www.pervasive.com, www.paraccel.com and www.versant.com.
Links to non-Actian websites
Social Media Widgets
2. Types of information we collect
This Privacy Statement covers personal information, non-personal data collection and aggregate reporting.
Personal information is information that is associated with your name or personal identity. Actian uses personal information to understand better your needs and interests and to provide you with better service. Once you choose to provide us with personal information, you can be assured that we take seriously the trust you place in us.
In some Actian websites, you can order products or services, download software, contact the service desk, enroll for support, become a partner, apply for instant credit, request information, subscribe to marketing or support materials, register yourself or your Actian products, apply for a job at Actian, contact us with questions or comments, or provide us with feedback. The types of personal information you provide to us on these pages may include name, address, phone number, e-mail address, user IDs and passwords, billing and transaction information, credit card information, contact preferences, educational and employment background, and job interest data. Additionally, we may collect personally identifiable information about you that you provide to us when you contact us or that you voluntarily post in blogs, chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available from our websites and other users will be able to see any information that you post to such forums. We may use your personally identifiable information to deliver and provide certain services, products, software or information you have requested, provide you with notices regarding services, products or information that you have purchased or that you may want to purchase in the future, verify your authority to enter our websites, contact you or your employer for marketing purposes, and improve the content and general administration of our websites and our services. If you give us personal information about somebody else, such as a spouse, friend or work colleague, you represent and warrant that you have their permission to do so.
To personalize our websites, services or communications and improve our products and services, we may also ask you to provide us with information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, and experiences with our products or services. Providing this additional information is optional.
Non-personal information is data about usage and service operation that is not associated with a specific personal identity. Actian collects and analyzes non-personal information to evaluate how visitors use the Actian websites.
Actian may transfer personal information to companies that help us provide and sell our products and services.
Actian will retain personal data we process on behalf of our Clients for as long as needed to provide services to our Client. Actian will retain and use this personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
A “cookie” is a small data file transferred by a website to your computer’s hard drive. Actian sends cookies when you surf our site, make purchases, request or personalize information, or register yourself for certain services. Accepting the cookies used on our site does not give us access to your personal information, but we may use the cookies to identify your computer. Cookies are typically classified as either “session” cookies or “permanent” cookies. We do link the information we store in cookies to personal information you submit while on our site.
- “Session” cookies do not stay on your computer after you leave our website or close your browser. The aggregate information collected permits us to analyze traffic patterns on our site. This can enable us over time to provide a better experience on our site by improving content or personalization and making our site easier to use.
- “Permanent” cookies are those that remain on your computer. They are used to facilitate shopping, personalization and registration services. For example, cookies can keep track of what you have selected to purchase as you continue to shop and allow you to enter your password only once on Web pages where a login is required. “Permanent” cookies can be manually removed by the user.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/info/cookies.htm
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cookies-information-websites-store-on-your-computer
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647
- Web beacons
Some Actian Web pages and HTML-formatted e-mail newsletters use Web beacons in conjunction with cookies to compile aggregate statistics about website usage. A Web beacon is an electronic image, called a single-pixel (1×1) or clear GIF. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on a visitor’s computer, such as a visitor’s cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page where the Web beacon is placed. You may render some Web beacons unusable by rejecting their associated cookies.
- We employ or our third party tracking utility partners employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers’ personally identifiable information.
- Third-party media companies
Actian does not post third-party ads on its website. Actian may use third-party media companies to place ads for Actian products or services on other companies’ websites. If you view a Web page where Actian ads appear, the online media company may place a cookie or Web beacon on your computer. This allows the online media company to recognize the computer when it is used to return to that site, or to measure advertising response. This data is linked to personal data in Actian databases. Some Actian newsletters delivered on Actian’s behalf by online media companies use the same technologies. In both cases, this data is also used by the online media company to measure advertising and content interest and relevance. Actian does not have access to the data collected by the online media company. To prevent online media companies from placing cookies on your computer, you will need to visit each media company’s website and use their cookie removal process or set your browser cookie filter accordingly.
- Third Party Tracking Services
- Information regarding the privacy and data collection practices for Google Analytics and DoubleClick (offered by Google) is located at http://www.google.com/privacy/privacy-policy.html.
- Information regarding the privacy and data collection practices for Eloqua is located at http://www.eloqua.com/trust/Privacy_Policy.html.
- Actian uses Lithium Software to serve the Actian Community at various locations on our sites. Use of Actian Community is covered under this Privacy Statement; however some provisions of the Lithium Software Privacy Statement may also apply. You can view the Lithium Software Privacy Statement at http://www.lithium.com/privacy.
- Actian uses Salesforce.com to provide customer service tools and access to service data. Use of this data is covered under this Privacy Statement, however some provisions of the Salesforce.com Privacy Statement may also apply. You can view the Salesforce.com Privacy Statement at http://www.salesforce.com/company/privacy/.
4. Response to Do Not Track signals
We do not respond to Do Not Track signals when sent by the web browser.
5. Children’s privacy
Actian is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Actian does not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 and Actian does not target its websites to children under 13.
6. How we use your information
Actian uses your personal information to provide you with services and to help us better understand your needs and interests. Specifically, we use your information to help you complete a transaction or order, to communicate with you, to provide service and support, to improve the capabilities of our products and services, to update you on services and benefits, to personalize promotional offers and to personalize some Actian websites. Occasionally we may also use your information to contact you for market research regarding Actian products or services. Occasionally we may also use your information to contact you for market research regarding Actian products or services. We will give you the opportunity to choose your privacy preferences regarding such communications (see section 8, “Your choices”). Credit card information is used only for payment processing and fraud prevention. Credit card information and sensitive personal data are not used for any other purpose by our financial services providers or Actian.
Personal data collected online may also be combined with information you provide Actian through other sources such as product registration, call centers or public events such as trade shows or seminars.
Personal data given to Actian may be transferred across state and country borders for the purposes of data consolidation, storage and simplified customer information management.
Non-personal data is aggregated for reporting about Actian website usability, performance and effectiveness. It is used to improve the customer experience, usability and site content.
Based upon the personal information you provide us, we will communicate with you to provide the services you request, and we will use the information to manage your account. We will communicate with you by email or telephone in accordance with your wishes.
7. Who we share your information with
Actian shares customer information across Actian-owned business entities and companies working on our behalf, but only as described above in “How we use your information.” For instance, if you download an evaluation product, we may share your information with an authorized Actian reseller in your territory. We do not sell your personal information to third parties.
Actian contracts with third-party service providers and suppliers such as credit card processing companies, marketing campaign management companies, SaaS software providers, email service providers or third party customer service companies to deliver complete products, services and customer solutions described in “How we use your information.” Suppliers and service providers are required to keep confidential the information received on behalf of Actian and may not use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for Actian. These service providers may change or we may contract with additional service providers to better accommodate our customers. Actian will not share personal information with any other third parties without your permission, unless required by law enforcement action, subpoena, or local law, or in our sole discretion, to law enforcement agencies to assist in any investigation, when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or unlawful conduct or respond to a government request.
Certain Actian services are linked with those from unrelated third-party companies, some which offer you the option to share with both Actian and the third party personal data you provide. Examples include the ability to register software products from multiple vendors from a single Actian Web page, to request communications from Actian marketing or solution partners, or to enable order completion through a reseller.
Actian or its related entities could merge with or be acquired by another business entity or some or all of their respective assets could be acquired, including some or all of your personal information. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
8. Your choices
Actian will deliver a variety of information that complements our products and services. Actian-wide communications may include new product information, special offers, or an invitation to participate in market research. Out of respect for the privacy of our users we present the option to not receive these types of communications. To be removed from our list, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To opt-out of receiving communications use any of the following methods:
- Select the e-mail “opt-out” or “unsubscribe” link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each subscription communication
- Users who no longer wish to receive our newsletters and promotional communications may opt-out of receiving these communications by visiting our unsubscribe page at http://www.actian.com/website/unsubscribe.
9. Access to and accuracy of your information
Actian strives to keep your personal information accurate. We have implemented technology, management processes and policies to maintain customer data accuracy. We will provide you with access to your information, including making reasonable effort to provide you with online access and the opportunity to change or delete inaccuracies or modify your information. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as a password and user ID, before granting access to your data. Certain areas of Actian websites may limit access to specific individuals through the use of passwords and other personal identifiers.
The most effective way to view and change your personal information is to visit this page, http://wwwstage.actian.com/website/profile-update/. We will respond to your access request within 30 days.
10. Keeping your information secure
Actian is committed to protecting the information you provide us. To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, Actian has in place appropriate physical and managerial procedures to safeguard the information we collect. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive data such as credit card information. SSL encryption is designed to make the information unreadable by anyone but us. This security measure is working when you see either the symbol of an unbroken key or closed lock (depending on your browser) on the bottom of your browser window.
Credit card numbers are used only for processing payment and are not used for other purposes.
11. Changes to this Statement
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
12. Contacting us
Attention: Marketing Programs
Postal Address: 500 Arguello Street, Suite 200, Redwood City, CA 94063 USA
Web site URL: www.actian.com
Rev. March 2014