Generative AI (GenAI) is a branch of AI that can be trained to create derivative content in different formats, including text, image, video, and audio.
Why is Generative AI Important?
Generative AI is important to business because it helps accelerate creative processes, including writing copy and sourcing images for ads, customer emails, and newsletters. Product designers benefit from using GenAI to deliver 3D images and models of designs from new perspectives.
Consumers benefit from GenAI by having search results explained to them.
Applications of Generative AI
New applications for GenAI are released almost daily. Below are some examples of this rapidly evolving set of applications:
- Chatbots are probably the most popular text-based application of Generative AI. Customer service teams use these sales contact centers and marketing websites to provide highly responsive dialogs.
- Transcription GenAI services will create meeting minutes and summarize video content.
- Social media analysis GenAI models analyze social streams to get the gist and highlight particularly negative or positive sentiments.
- Research can be more productive by having a GenAI tool run web searches for articles and papers and then summarize and organize the output based on search terms.
- Marketing teams can use GenAI to create visual and written content.
Training Generative AI Models
Generative Pre-trained Transformer (GPT) models use deep learning algorithms applied to large training data sets to accumulate knowledge. Below are the training methods.
The least sophisticated training approach is to feed large volumes of relevant data to teach the GenAI model. For example, you may want a text-based GenAI to write your PR agency’s first draft of press releases. You could start by sharing client briefing templates along with the final draft of the associated press release. The GenAI model will quickly learn to draft similar releases.
A more guided approach uses data sets with the best usage examples highlighted or tagged. This has the potential to create higher grade output than the unsupervised approach.
Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback
Reinforcement learning from human feedback (RLHF) provides feedback on GenAI output using people’s preferences—this form of fine-tuning training results in more natural conversational responses from Chatbot applications. For an application that summarizes articles, for example, any edits made to its output are used to generate a further training dataset for fine-tuning.
Diffusion models are used for GenAI applications that create and enhance images and videos. In this instance, image creation is done using text-based prompts to provide information about the required frame, subject and style. GPT image tools such as Dall-E2 and Microsoft Designer use diffusion models to create versions of the images they are trained on that depict new perspectives, change settings and allow customizations such as adding text.
GenAI vendors like AWS and OpenAI Enterprise customers can access plug-ins that provide a pre-trained model as a high-level starting point. Below are some examples of GPT-4.
- AI Data Analyst – Explore data using natural language.
- AnalyticsAI – Review your Google Analytics using prompts.
- Bramework analyzes search data to help marketers with Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Chat With Excel – Converse with your spreadsheet.
- Developer Doc Search – Open-source code research and documentation search.
- Recipe Finder – Recipe ideas organized by dietary needs.
- Rephrase AI – Turn text into talking avatar videos.
- Smart Slides – Create a slide presentation.
- Take Code Captures – Beautify source code for sharing.
- Visualize Your Data – Create charts of your data.
The Actian Data Platform and Generative AI
Thanks to its built-in data integration capabilities, the Actian Data Platform makes it easy to automate data preprocessing as part of your AI training workflow. Businesses can proactively preprocess their operational data to be analysis-ready using pipeline automation. By making it easy to unify, transform, and orchestrate data pipelines.
Actian’s database technology in the Action Data Platform can perform high-speed queries referencing distributed database instances and data stored externally to the database using the Spark connector.