A data management strategy is the process of creating a plan to handle the data created, stored, managed, and processed by an organization. This roadmap ensures that data management activities work together effectively and efficiently to meet business goals and objectives.
Here are some critical steps for creating a data management strategy along with ways to make this process easier:
#1. Define your business goals and objectives
When planning these, consider the types of insights that you will need to meet your top priorities. Delivering the right information at the right time in the right context will be necessary to become a truly data-driven business.
#2. Assess current data practices
Organizations need to uncover barriers to data democratization and what is preventing useful insights. Try to answer the following questions. Are data analytics software, access, and user experience issues adding friction to usability? Does data lack meaning and relevance for user needs? Is data timely and presented in the right context?
#3. Determine modern data requirements
These should include data sources, data types, data volume, data velocity, data quality, and data security. To support modern data requirements, organizations may need to support terabytes or even petabytes of data, unstructured and structured data, and high-velocity data streams. This data must be trustworthy and protected.
#4. Develop data management policies and procedures
Data governance establishes and enforces policies and processes for collecting, storing, using, and sharing information.
As you democratize data, your data governance will need to include ways to protect privacy, comply with regulations, and ensure ethical use.
#5. Identify the right technology requirements
It is necessary to choose the right technology to support data management goals and objectives. It’s important to take into account key capabilities the technology needs to provide, price performance, cost, and deployment criteria.
#6. Continuously monitor the strategy
After implementing the data management strategy, continuously monitor activities such as technology adoption, how well user needs are being met, whether the organization is following data governance rules, and if costs are aligned with business value delivered.
Meet Your Data Management Objectives
The Avalanche Cloud Data Platform can help you meet your data management objectives by delivering these key benefits:
- Superior price performance: Delivers sub-second query results at an exceptionally low cost.
- REAL real-time analytics: Provides the ability to see in real-time what is happening within the business to allow users to decide on the best courses of action at the moment. The Avalanche platform does this in a way that doesn’t impact the performance of running queries.
- Built-in native integration: The Avalanche platform profiles and standardizes data, reduces errors by automating quality checks, and orchestrates pipelines to maximize team efficiency.
- Flexible deployment options: Eliminates vendor lock-in by delivering the same set of capabilities across AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure and enables hybrid, multi-cloud, and cross-cloud deployment of workloads.
- Scalability: Makes it easy to analyze big data from terabytes to petabytes.
- Role-based security policies: Reduces the time and effort to comply with data and privacy regulations without compromising the usefulness of data to consumers.
Get Started Today!
Give the Actian Data Platform a free 30-day trial to see how we can make your data management strategy easier. You’ll be able to set up in just minutes and gain instant access just like thousands of other businesses! Or learn about the Actian platform’s exceptional price performance in our recent GigaOm Benchmark.